Tuesday, May 20, 2008

First Discovery

I have learned that everything tastes better when I make it myself. Now I know this can sound snotty, so I should defend that statement by saying that, naturally, anything fresh out of the oven tastes better. Plus, I can pronounce each ingredient that I am adding in, and there are no "partially hydrogenated" anythings in a recipe that I make from start to finish. And no allergens for that matter. Being able to substitute the high fat additions for the healthier versions also makes me happy. And by making something myself, from scratch with fresh ingredients that I had to go to three stores to find, I can honestly say that I have never taken so much pride in what I have cooked or baked as I do now. Cooking and baking is something that I actually like now, something that I honestly crave. Experimenting with this whole new world of ideas is so stimulating and fascinating to me, and when something finally comes out of the oven that I do not throw in the garbage after one bite, the satisfaction is so addicting that I just want to make more. Cooking used to be an obligation, but now everything else that gets in the way of my baking and steals my time away from it is the obligation. I am happy that I have discovered this new world of taking such an active role in designing the healthy (or sometimes unhealthy-but-so-yummy) concoctions of what I put into my new body. Now this is my kind of Chemistry!

No comments: